Compassion. Support. Justice.

We Are Here to Help:


Compassion. Support. Justice.

We are dedicated to providing personal, high-quality legal services at an affordable rate.

Answers To Common Family Law Questions

We understand that when it comes to family legal decisions, you want to spend a lot of time researching and getting answers before you start making important decisions. At The Law Office of Tamela T. Wallace P.A., our attorneys will help guide you through every part of the process.

We’ll help you with individual decisions as well as understanding the long-term impact of those decisions so you can have a comprehensive understanding of every choice you have and each decision you make. Below are answers to some of the most common concerns our Charlotte clients have.

Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

What’s the difference between physical and legal custody?

Physical custody refers to where children live. Legal custody is about who makes major life decisions for a child such as educational, religious and medical choices.

What’s the difference between joint and sole custody?

In North Carolina, there is no specific legal definition. It varies by case and circumstances, with a general understanding that joint custody means each parent will have considerable time with the children, whereas sole custody means one parent has significantly more time than the other.

If my ex isn’t paying child support, can I refuse to let him/her see the children?

No. Child support and custody/visitation arrangements are entirely separate. If court-ordered child support is not being paid, you may have legal options to enforce the order.

What do I need to do to get a divorce?

There are a few requirements to dissolve a valid marriage, including North Carolina residency, a year of separation with at least one spouse intending to permanently separate and no attempts at reconciliation during that time.

Will I have to go to court?

Not necessarily. In fact, alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation are required in certain types of cases such as child custody. In most legal situations, mediation will be the more affordable, effective means to a resolution.

Are there different rules for same-sex divorce?

No. The divorce proceedings are the same. If there are minor children involved, however, determining custody could be more complicated.

Can I adopt my stepchild even if we can’t locate the other biological parent?

Yes. If you can prove that you did your due diligence in trying to find the biological parent, you may be able to continue with the adoption. There are rules and guidelines you must follow, and we can help you with that process.

When You Need Answers To Other Questions, Call Our Lawyers

Each situation is unique to your family, and only a knowledgeable, experienced North Carolina family law attorney can personally address your concerns. Call us today at 704-371-4212 so we can answer your specific questions.

You Deserve Justice. Let Us Help You Get It.

The Law Office of Tamela T. Wallace P.A. 

301 South McDowell Street Suite #406 
Charlotte, NC 28204

Phone: 704-371-4212 
Fax: 704-371-4270